With the tax deadline come and gone it is important to know that not paying your taxes can have significant repercussions. Tax laws and even worse the fallout from not paying your taxes can be a complicated mess. You could get stuck with a tax lien, if this happens to you here are tips on what can you do to remove a tax lien?
First, what is a tax lien? It is a legal way for the IRS to get an individual to pay tax debt. Liens can be placed on personal or real property when you fail to pay taxes within a given period of time. The lien is usually filed at a local County Clerk’s office and is a public document. It can also be filed with the Secretary of State.
Through the lien the IRS gains legal claim on property until the lienor can pay the tax that is owed. Tax liens are not only inconvenient but they can also affect your credit rating. The sale of any personal property will also be difficult or even impossible.
Your top priority should be to remove a tax lien as soon as possible. Here is what you need to know:
1. You have 30 days to respond to a tax lien after receiving a “Final Notice of Intent to Levy”.
2. Tax liens can expire but this may not be the best option. For tax liens more recent than November 6, 1990, the tax lien becomes unenforceable after 10 years. For all liens prior to November 6, 1990, the tax lien becomes unenforceable after six years.
3. A tax lien can show on your credit report forever. Even if it expires the lien will remain on your credit report, whether the IRS acts upon it or not.
4. Pay the tax that is owed. If you choose this option, your tax lien should be removed within 30 days. It can be removed from your credit report as well.
5. Prove a financial hardship. If you can prove to the IRS that levying money in your bank account will cause more harm than good and that it may cause you to never be able to pay them what you owe them.
6. Your best option is to consult with a tax professional to help you create a realistic tax payback plan or correspondence with the IRS.
Gorgeous Bradford Colonial home! Fall in love with the old charm and modern day amenities the second you walk into this comfy home. First floor offers eat in kitchen with stainless steel appliances, granite counters, original hardwood wainscoting, and custom built cabinetry. Access to maintenance free back deck, shed, and mature landscaping. The dining room is open concept to family room with gleaming golden teak hardwood flooring, coffered ceilings, and plenty of natural light. Second floor layout can be used in many ways-currently a 3 bedroom with a walk in master closet, however, could easily be a 4 bedroom layout. Master, walk in closet and 1 bedroom offering beautiful wide pine flooring and third bedroom boasts lovely carpet. Finished walk up attic could be used as an office, game room, or 4/5th bedroom. Newer roof and furnace and offering central air to name a few extra amenities. Care and attention to detail is evident throughout. 1 Year Home Warranty included!
Adorable, well maintained cape home is a perfect starter home or great for downsizing. Main floor offers two nice sized bedrooms with ceiling fans, closets and beautiful hardwood floors. Open kitchen and dining room space. Large living room with plenty of windows for natural light. Second floor has potential to be a third bedroom with full bath. Full sized basement with new bulkhead door, new oil tank, new backside roof. Great carport space and attached shed. Close to dining, shopping and major routes for commuters. You will love this house!
Methuen MA Real Estate
North Andover MA Real EstateNorth Andover, MA - $724,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:11 - Beds:5 - Baths:2/12 hours agoNorth Andover, MA - $449,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/13 hours agoNorth Andover, MA - $724,900 - Single-Family - Contemporary - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:34 hours ago
- MBTA police officer arrested two more times following house party arrest in Salem July 30, 2014An MBTA transit police officer who allegedly assaulted a woman at a Salem house party on Saturday was arrested two more times for stalking and violating a protective order after being freed on bail, a prosecutor said Tuesday. […]
- Alleged assault, striking parked cars leads to Mass. man's arrest July 29, 2014A Massachusetts man was arrested on Saturday for allegedly assaulting a woman at a Meadow Lane home, then striking several parked cars and the drive-through canopy of a local bank with an SUV, police said. […]
- Farmers hurt by Market Basket feud July 28, 2014Maria Arvarado, of Haverhill, Mass. finds empty produce bins as she shops Thursday, July 24, 2014 at Market Basket supermarket in Haverhill, Mass. […]
- Market Basket Missed Connections July 25, 2014With the current climate at Market Basket stores around New England extremely tense , it's sort of comforting to know that devoted shoppers are still finding love amidst the aisles. […]
- Bottle of White: Tasting Sauvignon Blanc from Around the World July 24, 2014They say variety is the spice of life, and luckily guests in the Boston area need look no further to compare and contrast the tastes of this white varietal as we venture into the different wine regions from around the globe. […]
- Market Basket vendors hurt by work stoppage July 24, 2014Barker's Farm's Russell Whitney has a crop of corn Market Basket can't buy while many stores aren't taking deliveries. […]
- MBTA police officer arrested 3 times in less than 48 hours July 29, 2014An MBTA Transit Police sergeant was put on paid administrative leave after allegedly assaulting a woman and twice violating a restraining order, resulting in three arrests in less than 48 hours, authorities said Monday. […]
- Panel OKs auction house in Salem industrial district July 29, 2014An 11,000-square-foot auction house in on its way to 11 Garabedian Drive. The Planning Board recently approved a change of use for the building, which will allow the auction house to operate in the industrial district. […]
- Supermarkets contend with influx of Market Basket shoppers July 29, 2014Despite a heavy downpour, supporters showed up on the sidewalk in front of Market Basket Monday morning in Manchester. […]
- Shirley selectmen pick new police chief July 29, 2014Selectmen on Monday night voted unanimously for Thomas Goulden II of Nashua, N.H., over two other finalists for police chief. […]
- A taste of the Old West in Pelham at The Great Nor'easter July 28, 2014"BB Richardson," otherwise known Chelsea Shriver, 14, of West Virginia, right, was all smiles after taking a successful shot during The Great Nor'easter - also known as the New England Regional Cowboy Action Shooting Championships - at Pelham Fish and Game Club Sunday afternoon. […]
- 'Moses of Scotch Irish' is honoured July 28, 2014He is being honoured with the unveiling of an Ulster History Circle blue plaque and reception at Aghadowey Presbyterian Church on Monday. […]